Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Valkyrie II




I am extremely excited to present the lines plans for Valkyrie II. After the amazing success of Valkyrie I set out to produce a boat that will weigh 30 - 50% less than the original, with more buoyancy, less drag, more lift, lower take off speeds, higher top end, better roll control, simpler construction, and a more aesthetically pleasing appearance. In the spirit of open source and constructive competition, I am sharing my lines plans here on this website. If you think you can solve the engineering hurdles better than I have, or if you want to produce something similar to Valkyrie II, good luck and go right ahead, or better yet give me a call!

The new version of Valkyrie features a 3' longer hull with more canoe like underwater shapes for an improved prismatic coefficient and overall better low speed performance, including at unusual pitch angles, all with a heavier load than before. The amas are better hydro-dynamically and the biggest improvement will be the foils themselves. Previously I used 1/4 inch plywood, 6" wide and 8' long to create a "wing". This time, I am using an actual foil shape, which I hope to give the designer credit for after recieving his permission.

Construction has already begun with the purchase of lumber. Updates and pictures will follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment